Small scale vegetable-producing farmers in Zambia lack access to sustainable and reliable markets for their produce. Lumuno Organic Farms is a fast-growing producer of chili sauce based in the Chongwe District in Zambia. Through the Strategic Partnership Grant from USAID’s Southern Africa Trade Hub, Zhauns (Pty) Ltd is providing the necessary technology, equipment, and training for Lumono to upgrade its processing capacity and develop its product for export.
Lumuno buys its ingredients from smallholder farmers, primarily women, located in four provinces across the country who have been trained through the grant to meet the quality standards required to be considered organic.
- Lumuno production/processing capacity upgraded through Zhauns technology, equipment and training.
- Lumuno will increase purchases of organically produced vegetables from small-scale farmers, whom will have been trained in organic farming and post-harvest handling.
- Lumuno will enhance its marketing capacity to ensure that the increased production and product range is marketed successfully.
- Small scale farmers, including a significant number of women, will be able to produce, market, and realize increased income from vegetables produced for Lumuno.
- Lumuno Organic Farms will upgrade its production/processing facilities.
Results and Outcomes
Lumuno has successfully engaged and trained the farmers to grow chilies, onions, and garlic organically for production of Lumuno chili sauce.
New crushing, filling, capping, labeling, and drying equipment provided through the grant has increased production capacity from 9,000 bottles of sauce per month to 15,000–a 67% increase enabling Lumuno to explore regional markets.
Photo: The President of Kenya Uhuru Kenyatta examines products from Lumuno Organic Farms