Database on Animal Feed Manufacturers, Grain Millers and Oil Expressers in Zambia, Malawi, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Namibia and Botswana
AuthorWhitehouse & Associates
This report comprises the compilation of a database of animal feed manufacturers, grain millers and oil expressers in Zambia, Malawi, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Namibia and Botswana. This database is the result of specific research undertaken for SATH into the presence, size and distribution of animal feed manufacturers, grain millers and oil expressers in the region.
An initial list of 141 producers was compiled from various sources of data including:
- Whitehouse & Associates in-house database
- Trade directories
- Direct contact with the industry associations
- Various reports such as the Soy Roadmap series
Each company was contacted telephonically or by e-mail to obtain details on their activities.
There were certain challenges obtaining the required data, including:
- Some companies are listed in directories and the contact details are incorrect. The team was not able to locate the correct details and it is not clear if the facility is still operating.
- Company executives were reluctant to divulge information on their operations and, in some cases, refused to divulge any information unless it was directly to SATH in a face-to-face interview.
- The telephone numbers in Zimbabwe are problematic making it very difficult to collect data.
The final database contains 136 companies across the six countries. While there are still gaps in the data, this provides a very good starting point for SATH activities specifically in working towards stated objectives of:
- New Trade Linkages established and Greater Competitiveness in Staple Foods and Other Value Chains
- Enhanced Private Sector Capacity of Member States to Comply with Regional and International Market Standards including Agricultural Standards
It should also be noted that a database is a living entity and will grow and develop as SATH works further in this sector.