Access to finance and investment are fundamental to economic growth and development. The Finance & Investment component seeks to increase both by working directly with firms across the region, with financial institutions and in-vestment funds, and with multilateral organizations seeking to facilitate finance and investment.
The Trade Hub’s Finance and Investment team executes innovative strategies and activities to facilitate and accelerate access to finance in the SADC region via five pillars:
- Banking / Financial sector strengthening – including regulatory or procedural issues and bank capacity building in partnership with DCA and other USG agencies
- Policy enabling environment / Financial sector strengthening – working with SADC and other third party stakeholders on implementation of regional investment policy framework (SADC-IPF) and its domestication through national action plans on investment
- Development/support of funding platforms/vehicles – working with existing funds on additional capital raises
- Warehouse Receipt Systems (WRS) – focusing on three areas within WRS strengthening; WRS Systems Development, Financial Institution Capacity-Building around warehouse receipt financing, Broader Ecosystem Support to Overcome Barriers to WR Finance Deployment
- Increasing investment into the region – collaborating with regional and global investors to facilitate investment, including through intraregional transactions and investments from outside of Southern Africa